I saw a live demo of this during GDC and it’s as good as it looks. Dan makes a great assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of this approach so make sure to read his full blog post.
Dan Fessler’s HD Index Painting Technique let’s you paint pixel art in Photoshop in a non-destructive manner, and lets you use pretty much every tool in a perfectly pixel-gradient fashion!
The article gives you everything you need to try it out for yourself.It’s easy to set up and use, and the results are so fucking cool.
Dan Fessler is a god.
pixel art / game dev blast again! I’m working on building my own game based around
-action-focused tower defense mechanics (like sanctum or orcs must die)
-procedurally generated terrain
-a diverse cast of characters
-support-role / cooperative based mechanics
-maybe some rhythm-based game mechanics
lemme know if you’re interested in brainstorming with me!
Otherwise if you want to skip the barrage of posts, my tags are usually #pixel art and #game dev
Baby Mummy’s Curse Game : Update 2014-03-01
I’m very happy to announce that Baby Mummy’s Curse is approaching the end of development and finally leaving beta.
You can play the latest version (0.9) now on Game Jolt:
Or on my server:
In this version all 21 chambers are complete and should be bug free - ready for a complete walkthrough. Baby Mummy awaits you in the last part of the final chamber. It’s still not the final version, since this version still has got no credit and instruction screen. There are also some tweaks left to do, but the gameplay works fine!
As always, feedback is much appreciated!
0.9 Release Notes:
- [ADD] completed the last chamber. Added Baby Mummy boss, soother pick uo and other things.
- [ADD] epilogue/outro added
- [FIX] chamber 17: “chamber 17” is not shown anymore while switching between the screens
- [FIX] chamber 19: player animation works accurately by respawn/2nd checkpoint
- [FIX] one-way switch door issue fixed
- [CHANGE] level design was changed in the 21st chamber, 2nd part. It’s not possible to get trapped anymore
- [CHANGE] water snakes are blinking now
- [CHANGE] new sequences for the tesla cubes in chamber 21
- [CHANGE] new tesla script: performance boost in chamber 21
- generally: minor fixes and optimizations